Saturday, March 26, 2011

The track plan

In my last post, I talked about how I was drawn to the classic western layouts of the 50s, 60s, 70's and 80s.  I also mentioned that some of these were layouts that have been featured in MR over the years.  One of my particular favorites was a small 4' x 6' MR project layout built in 1984 as part of MR's 50th year celebration, The Gold Hill Central.  I had not seen this layout for some time and I couldn't find anything on the web despite numerous searches--until I found a web preview of 101 more track plans for Model Railroaders (Kalmbach) which showed the plan in color.  Here it is:



After looking at this plan for some time, the penny dropped.  The more I thought about it the more I liked the idea of creating this neat little layout in N. With a little adaptation, this plan would fit nicely in my 20" x 30" space.  I really like the idea of the scenic divider down the middle on such a small layout is it breaks things up.  Plus it has some nice features that I look for in a good layout plan:

  • Clear divisions of towns
  • Interesting switching possibilities with multiple industries
  • Good scenic features
  • passenger operations
  • engine service/storage area

The GHC has all of these, which is surprising for such a small layout.  Plus, things are not too crowded allowing for a fairly decent main line run.  Now, I know that 20" x 30" does not equate to 48" x 72" when scaling N to HO.  This is a limitation for sure, but I as I said before, I think the GHC is easily adaptable to my space requirements.  I will have to use several tricks to make this work:

  • use short radius turnouts
  • selective compression of scenic elements
  • use only short rolling stock and engines

That said, its time to get busy surveying the right of way and determining locations of structures and scenic elements.  Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment